Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Funny people -My movie review


So I saw "Funny People" the latest Adam Sandler movie which also had Seth Rogen and Leslie Mann.

Before I get on to the review, its funny how I got the free tickets to this advance show of the movie. Usually I never win any contests or such, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this mail that I had got 2 free passes to the movie in a newspaper contest. The only irritating part was that I had to go all the way to the newspaper's office to collect the passes myself.

So just came back from the screening and these are my two cents on the movie. The plot is pretty simple-a "supposedly" dying stand up comedian realizes how shallow his life is and tries to catch up with all the important people he forgot about(his sister, family, his ex girlfriend etc).

Adam Sandler plays the part of the comic while Seth rogen plays his protogee who he tries to groom before he fades away from life. The good parts are that the dialogues and people are funny and elicit many a chuckle from you. The bad part is that sometimes the pace of the movie really drags and some editing could have worked wonders. I though the second half of the movie loses its way completely as if the director finally realized that he had no story to tell us in the first place. However I especially thought that jonah Hill who plays Seth Rogen's room mate was hilarious. The way the guys talk to each other was so natural and a good highlight of the story.

I would rate the movie as slightly better than average and almost close to good. It could have been a lot better if the story had led the viewers somewhere. The ending didnt leave that big an impression on the audience and thats something that hopefully the director Judd Apatow will take care of next time.

If I had to rank Apatow's movies, Knocked up and 40 yr old virgin are definetly more higher than this one. Funny people is funny but in bits and parts.

Here are few(of the already very few) funny quotes from "funny people"-a movie that took itself way too seriously :)

===================================================

Mark: When my grandfather died, there was one candle next to his bed. And the candle started flickering. We all thought it was him going to Heaven, you know?

Leo: You don't pass through fire to get to Heaven. I think he went to Hell.
===================================================
George Simmons: Is your act designed to make sure no girl will ever sleep with you?
===================================================


George Simmons to Ira: "You're my only friend," he tells Ira, "and I don't even like you."

1 comment:

sasi said...

it was a interesting posting.....................
Work from home